Howth is a peninsula in the Northeast of Dublin City. It is a busy fishing port, has a lovely village and offers some maintained walks around Howth Head with great views. This is one of the four walks / hikes, Howth Bog of Frogs Walk. These details were taken from fingaldublin.ie a number of years back. For more info on Howth itself, check out this link.
Howth Bog of Frogs Walk
1. Starting from the DART Station follow the purple arrow onto the promenade along the harbour. You are also following green, blue and red arrows for other shorter loops. At the end of the prom, veer right onto Balscadden Road and ascend to reach Kilrock car park from where you join the well trodden cliff path.
2. Follow the cliff path for approximately 3km before the green, blue and red loops turn right and ascend to The Summit car park. You continue straight on here to reach the access road for the Bailey Lighthouse. Cross the road and join the second section of cliff path.
3. Continue to follow the cliff path for another 3km to pass safety handrails at Red Rock. Shortly afterwards, the loop swings right and uphill onto a grassy track. After 500m you cross the busy Carrickbrack Road and enter a hillside section.
4. The track takes you around the shoulder of Sheilmartin Hill to enter a golf course. Cross the course carefully – using the line of white rocks as your line of travel. On the opposite side enter the Bog of the Frogs area.
5. You now follow a track through the Bog of the Frogs and onto open hilltop on the shoulder of the Ben of Howth where you pick up the red loop before descending through the grounds of the local GAA Club, and eventually reaching the Balkill Park estate.
6. Entering Balkill Park, you pick up the green and blue loops as you join the tramline pathway. Follow the pathway downhill to exit directly opposite the DART Station – picking up the green, red and purple loops along the way.
Ascent : 240m
Distance : 10km
Estimated Time : 2hrs 30mins – 3hrs 30mins
Grade : Hard
Trailhead : Howth Village
Terrain : Laneways, clifftop paths and hill tracks
Minimum Gear : Walking boots, raingear, snack and fluid
Theme : Coastal
For the rest of the walks around Howth, check out links below: